MY FAST-Part 2 (POST 5)
My fast began on Monday, September 23. I had made index cards with issues I wanted to pray about during my fast. I would attempt to maintain my normal schedule as much as possible. In the next two posts I want to share some remarks directly out of my journal about what went on physically and spiritually in my life during my 14 day fast. This is a continuation from yesterday’s post.
- I need your grace today because I was angry the moment I woke up. I’m angry at those who have hurt me.
- I seem to have hit a wall with my tiredness. I’m not sleepy but I can’t get rested.
- I was sick to my stomach twice yesterday. It may be the apple juice. I weighed 179.6 yesterday.
- I felt freedom in my preaching yesterday although our attendance was down.
Jeremiah 1:19: They will fight against you, but they shall not prevail against you. For I am with you,” says the Lord, “to deliver you.”
- “Blahs” yesterday and somewhat down.
- Sick at my stomach once this morning.
- I didn’t sleep well after 4:15 a.m. this morning.
- I haven’t felt rested in 3-4 days.
- I’m going home early today to rest and maybe catch a nap.
- I was up from 3:00 a.m. until 5:00 a.m. for two nights in a row. Why?
- I am still stick to my stomach. Why?
- Some body aches and pains in my left hand and arm.
- I feel like I’m in spiritual warfare.
- Jon Reed suggested to me on the phone that I get off of the processed juice and go back to freshly juiced juice.
- I’m almost so worried about our revival that I’m sick. I’m worried that we won’t see God do anything.
- Sanctification hurts!
Jeremiah 5:3: O Lord, are not Your eyes on the truth? You have stricken them, but they have not grieved; You have consumed them, but they have refused to receive correction. They have made their faces harder than rock; they have refused to return.
- Please DON’T let this happen at WFBC in revival.
- Yesterday was great.
- I’m back on natural fruit juices and off of the bottled stuff.
- Slept great last night.
- Hunger pains are all but gone.
- Rebuke the hard-hearted.
- Break the backslider.
- Save the religious but lost.
- Revive the cold and indifferent.
- Challenge the half-hearted.
- Make me the pastor the church needs.
- What do I need to do to be more pastoral to my church?
- I’m so emotionally tired.
- Save the unconverted church members.
- Will you do a great work at WFBC?
- Please do something at this church.
- Let your glory fall on this place this day and week.
- Convict lost church members and save them.
- Why have you put me in this place to minister?
- Send us lost people to win to you.
Here’s my 14 day fast summarized in 10 statements:
- Food is a powerful luxury and nearly an idol in my life.
- There’s nothing easy about going without eating. The hunger pains never completely disappeared.
- Freshly juiced fruits and vegetables are so much better than anything bought at the store. The moment I went BACK to fresh juice all the stomach problems and body aches left and stayed gone. Because I hated to clean my juicer 3 times a day it almost derailed my fast!
- Prayer was just as difficult while I was fasting as when not. However, many days while fasting I experienced “agonizing prayer” as never before.
- I never wanted to stop fasting and start eating throughout the entire fast. I sensed the grace of God bearing me along for the entire 14 days. This confirmed that God had indeed called me to fast, however I would never have experienced this if I had not stepped out in faith and began to fast. I was completely at peace after the first few days of detoxification.
- It was important to have Jamie Murphy to pray for me and nothing else as it related to my fast. I feel this was a key to the success of my fast. He had fasted before so we talked regularly about what changes were occurring in my mind, body, and walk with the Lord.
- Some spiritual issues in my personal life and the life of my church will never experience a breakthrough apart from prayer and fasting.
- Weight falls off in a hurry when you’re not eating. I lost about 13 pounds in 14 days. The first night of the revival someone asked me if I was losing weight and ultimately guessed that I had been fasting.
- Fasting caused my “spiritual antenna” to go up. I was constantly aware of the fact that I was in the midst of a serious biblical endeavor in order to bring glory to God in my life and the life of our church. I recognized this whether it was 3:00 a.m. or 3:00 p.m. This seemed to enhance my concentration while praying and studying.
- I experienced strange phenomena in my body while I was fasting. The first day it was 78 degrees outside and I was in my chair wrapped up in a blanket. Some evenings I had to dress like it was winter even though it was early fall. Some nights I could hear crickets outside my bedroom window and I had never been able to hear them before even though Marsha could hear them all the time. My hands and feet got ice cold many nights at about 8:00 p.m., so much, that it became predictable. My body needs a regular detoxification.